☆ anime/manga,  ☆ i heart japan

GREAT manga you’ve (probably) never heard of – Tsubame no Suu

I read Ribon magazine every month. It’s Shueisha’s main Shoujo (young girl) manga magazine, and published once a month. Some of the more popular manga to come out of that magazine have been Marmalade Boy, Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne, The Gentlemen’s Alliance, Neighborhood Story, Akazukin Chacha, and the list goes on. Ribon is one of THE magazines to be published in, if you want to write manga for young girls. I love it, and so I read it religiously.. maybe I’m just a little girl at heart?

[poll id=”20″]

Anyways, about a year ago, I ran across this brand-new manga in Ribon:

OMG, the art….
How hideous!!

That was my first reaction, anyway.
If this was so bad-looking, how could it possibly get published over the hundreds of other girls also trying to get their manga printed?!

I had to give it a try.
I’m so glad that I did!!

It’s now my favorite series in Ribon, and I look forward to it every month 😉 I love it ♥

Let me give you the rundown:

It’s called Tsubame no Suu (“Swallow’s nest,” which is a play on words. Tsubame (swallow), and Suu (if you take off the last “u”, it means nest) are also the names of the two main characters), and it’s a comedy manga. It fits right into the category, with art like this. It’s definitely one of those situations where there are so many other beautiful manga out there, but this one is just THAT good. So good that it doesn’t matter what it looks like.

It’s by the newcomer mangaka, Toriumi Risako, a 23-yr old college student, and it’s the story of a normal high school girl named Tsubame.

One day, a transfer student joins her class. But while all of the other students gush over how gorgeous this new girl is, Tsubame is taken aback.

Can’t you see, she has a bird’s head?! she thinks.

It turns out that Tsubame is the only one who can see this girl’s real form. Everyone else only see the magical illusion that she cast on herself. Everyone else just sees Suu as a normal, but gorgeous girl.

Tsubame wants nothing to do with her, but Suu latches onto her, as the only person that she can share her secret with, and from there, the adventures begin!

All kinds of hijinks ensue,

and Suu even eventually falls in love.. with a huge teen idol who is really a Narwhal in disguise!

It’s sad that this manga will possibly never see the light of day in english, because a lot of people will look at the art and never give it a second thought.

But if enough people show interest, we could change that around! Or at least, you could discover a great new manga, that will help you learn japanese (I use manga to study all the time).

If you’re interested, I put a link to the first volume at the end of this article. 🙂 Please feel free to post links to other places to buy it in the comments!

I highly, highly, highly recommend it!
I can’t recommend it enough, whether you can read japanese or not!

So.. what do you say?

[poll id=”19″]

Buy here ———>
(810 geeks have read this)

Hi! This is Jamie Lynn Lano! I am a Washington State (USA) native who: ☆ Holds a Bachelors of the Arts in Media Arts & Animation from AiPx. ☆ Worked as an assistant mangaka in Japan for Konomi Takeshi on The Prince of Tennis. ☆ Was an essay columnist for Asahi Weekly from 2008-2013. ☆ Was the star of Asahi Pop'n Press on Asahi TV (Japan) from 2009-2013 ☆ Was a write for Metropolis magazine in 2010. ☆ Has kept a blog foreeeeeeeeever! First and Current blogs.